Hey my beautiful friends! Lets make finger print flowers for Mom! I love getting my kids involved with arts and crafts. I feel they have the opportunity to learn so much from it. Plus they create amazing memories! Here is a one-of-a-kind flower mom can take with her and display proudly on her desk, add a hole and use it as a key chain or make a smaller one and wear as a necklace. 🙂 Have fun!
What you will need
- sculpty clay
- glass pan for baking the clay
- Sculpty needs to be kneaded for several minutes to warm and become playable. then roll it into a ball and use your rolling-pin to flatten it out. Sculpty says right on the box it can stain surfaces and is not for eating so 1. Put down foil to protect your surface and 2. I wouldn’t use the same rolling-pin you use for your cookies. That is why I have a glass jar and my daughter has a plastic cup. TIP: If you plan on using sculpty a lot I would suggest investing in a pasta roller machine. I have one and it makes rolling and kneading SOO much easier they are about $20. I recently moved and I am still finding some of my art supplies (there are LOTS of boxes with art stuff LOL)
2. Have your little one/s press their finger around the outside to create a ring. TIP: you might need to help them press their finger down firmly to create the print. Then trim the outside and shape like a flower.
3. Bake using the directions on the box. TIP: Let it cool in the oven. Just prop the oven open a crack and slowly cool the oven and clay down. Now paint! I painted the whole thing with undiluted water-color then came back with water and lightened up the finger prints. More on water-color tips HERE
4. Trace the inside circle onto a piece of paper. If you are doing a drawing let your child color on the paper then cut a bigger circle out. Using mod podge glue it to the back of the flower and cover the whole thing with a thin layer of mod podge. Let dry 24 hours. Then turn over and cover the inside hole with a generous amount of mod podge. This seals the art work in the flower. 🙂 Using the same idea you could put a photo in the middle as well. The mod podge will dry clear.
TIP: I made a metal necklace with a photo if you would like to see what that would look like: HERE
Fall in love with your new piece of art!
If you try it please let us know how it went. If you have any questions or comments please ask. We read every comment and love hearing from all of you!
If you like what you see and want more be sure to join the fun!
What have you made today?!